January 12, 2023
New feature: Pipeline permissions
The 2023 is here and so are we, ready for new challenges and exciting ventures into the unknown! 🤩 For starters, we deliver a new permission tier: pipelines.
With the release of pipeline permissions, the roles now work as follows:
- Users assigned individually use the permission defined in their role.
- Users not assigned individually use the highest permission defined in the role of the group to which they belong.
Permissions & roles
Permissions in Buddy are defined in roles. The role is assigned upon adding the user to the project, or in the People tab. On the project level, the are three default roles:
- Developer - has full R/W access to all resources in the project. Cannot manage team members.
- Viewer - has read-only access to all resources in the project. Cannot manage team members.
- Project manager - has full R/W access to all resources in the project. Can manage people and groups in the project.
On top of the three roles is the administrator, who has unlimited access to all projects and resources in the workspace.
If you wish, you can create a custom role with separate permissions to the project resources (pipelines, source code, sandboxes).
Introducing: Pipeline permissions
The new permissions level allows you to redefine the level of access in individual pipelines. You can now change it in the Permissions tab of the pipeline settings:
Permissions in pipeline settings
Here are the available roles:
- None (deny) – the user cannot see the pipeline in the project at all.
- Project role – the permission defined in the role with which the user was assigned to the project (default).
- View-only – the user can browse the pipeline but cannot run or modify its settings. This setting is useful for showcasing deployment configuration to clients and new developers in the company.
- Run-only – the user can run the pipeline, but cannot modify its settings. This setting is useful for pipelines with fine-tuned/fragile configuration and retaining the "if it works, it works" status quo.
- Manage – the user can run and modify the pipeline, just like with the Developer role.
As Buddy is entirely customer-driven, we are looking forward to hearing what else you require from your perfect CI/CD tool. Drop a line, let us know, and let's make it happen!
Customer Success Manager