You use lots of tools to get web & app development done. Buddy creates more time in your day by helping you automate those tools.
What it does
This action triggers another pipeline from the same or from another project. The action allows to create waterfall-type of workflows or to trigger another pipeline in parallel after a specific stage has been completed. It also allows a streamline management of multi-repository applications.
How it works
The action works in a similar way to a manual pipeline triggering with clicking the Run button, but it’s done by the action instead.
Good to know
By default, the triggered pipeline is executed with the same revision number as the parent pipeline when both are in the same project. If a pipeline from a different project is selected, it’s always triggered with HEAD revision. The parent pipeline doesn’t wait for the triggered pipeline to complete executing the following action, but it can be set to wait. Creating loops is not possible. If pipeline X triggers pipeline Y, it won’t be possible to add an action triggering pipeline X in pipeline Y.
Run Next Pipeline Action Features
- Triggered pipeline can be run with the same revision as the parent pipeline or with HEAD when both pipelines are in the same project
- If set, the triggering pipeline can wait for the triggered pipeline to finish before the subsequent actions in the parent pipeline are resumed. This option requires at least two concurrent pipeline executions in a workspace plan. However, when the triggered pipeline fails, the parent pipeline will be marked as failed too.
- The triggering pipeline can pass Environment Variables to the triggered pipeline, you can specify them in the Variables tab. For example, it’s possible to pass the execution ID from one pipeline to another.
- Comment for an execution of the triggered pipeline is settable and accepts ENV VARs. To execute the child pipline with the same comments with which the parent pipeline was executed use
$BUDDY_EXECUTION_COMMENTfor the Comment.
- Input fields: Comment supports ENV VARs
- The action can be configured in YAML mode. See Run next pipeline YAML parameters and Run next pipeline YAML config example
- Buddy's Run next pipeline API is supported
- The action supports conditional execution: it can be run on each execution, only if there are changes in the repository or specific paths since last execution or if an environment variable has a specific value
Do more with Run next pipeline
Buddy allows you to instantly connect Run next pipeline with 100+ actions to automate your development and build better apps faster.