February 16, 2022
Introducing: Tags for workers and pipelines
NOTE: Due to its nature, the feature is restricted to on-premises installations of Buddy.
The on-premises installation of Buddy lets you add extra workers to scale the horsepower and run resource-demanding tasks on several machines at once. Each pipeline can be assigned to a particular worker with the option in the pipeline settings:
- The default with Buddy On-Premises installation.
- A specific worker added by the user.
- A worker that matches the pipeline tag.
Let's have a closer look at the newest addition to the party: tags.
How tags work
In short, tags mark pipelines for workers to look up and execute. The idea is to evenly distribute the workload across the infrastructure and is especially useful for teams working simultaneously on multiple projects that require a large number of pipeline executions per day.
Please mind that whenever a pipeline is moved to another worker, its filesystem is cleared i.e. the first execution on the new worker is always run from scratch.
How to apply tags
- Go to the pipeline that you want to dynamically allocate.
- Switch to the Settings tab and scroll down to the Worker assignment menu.
- Select 'Automatically assign pipelines to workers by matching them by tags'.
- Create one or more tags to label the pipeline:
Creating worker labels
- Next, go to the On-Premises Admin link and switch to the Workers tab.
- Click the desired worker.
- Select the tag(s) that you applied to the pipeline:
If no tagged workers match the label on the pipeline, the execution will be performed on the default machine, or a worker without any tags.
And that's it – from now on, whenever the pipeline is waiting in line for an execution, Buddy will transfer it to the nearest worker with the matching label, a feature that will help you optimize your workflow and maximize the usage of available resources.
You can delete, rename, and apply colors to existing tags by clicking the hamburger menu in the worker details:
Tag management location
Buddy is 100% customer driven. If there’s a feature or integration you miss, let us know in the comments below or directly at email@example.com.
Customer Success Manager